Saturday, March 17, 2018

Things I've Found While Running (Part 1).


I’ve been running for over 40 years and have come across some interesting places and things. I finally started carrying a camera a couple years ago, so I can capture some of my finds. Here are a few vehicles and aircraft I’ve come across:

I’ll start with my favorite. This Lockheed T2V “SeaStar” crashed into a swamp near West Milford, NJ in 1962. Luckily both pilots survived the crash even though they were unable to eject. The T2V was a carrier-capable training jet used by the U.S. Navy. All that remains is the fuselage (seen below) and the nose, about 100 feet away.


(Photo by Asia Danger Davidson)
This UH-1 Iroquois (Huey) is in the woods on Ft Dix, NJ and is used as a training aid for Army Medics. Various forms of the Huey were produced from 1956 until 1976. The U.S. Army eventually replaced the Huey with the UH-60 Blackhawk. More information on the UH-1 can be found at http://www.aviation-history.com/bell/uh1.htm .
This M60 Series tank can also be found in the woods north of Browns Mills, NJ near the Browns Mills – Cookstown Road. The M60 was the state of the art main battle tank for years before being replaced by the M1 Abrams tank. More information on the M60 series tank can be found at https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=28
During a recent run through the Assunpink Wildlife Management Area in Roosevelt, NJ I came across a few unexpected gems from the past, 2 cars and a plane. I’m sure each has its own unique story; but since no one nearby could offer any insight into their past, I’ll share my own theories. The first car was driven into the woods by lovers who were forbidden by their families to see each other. Unfortunately for them, while making love under the full moon, they were killed and carried off by the Jersey Devil. Hey, it could’ve happened. They, and by they I mean I, say that if you visit this car at midnight during a full moon you can still hear their screams. The second car was dumped deep in the woods following a mob hit, which would explain all the bullet holes in it. Finally, the abandoned plane was used by the infamous Nosdivad family to escape the government’s assault on the Ashram in a tiny village in the NJ Pine Barrens called Ong’s Hat. More history and information regarding the Ashram and its inter-dimensional portal can be found online or in Joseph Matheny’s book, “Ong’s Hat: The Beginning”. You can also research the “Incunabula Papers”.



No comments:

Post a Comment