Monday, August 5, 2013

Fall Mountain 03 Aug 2013


After months of knee pain followed by surgery, I finally used my newest pair of Inov-8 Bare Grip 200s last weekend. Now they look just like my old pair, muddy! I love these shoes. They have superior grip and with no midsole and zero drop these shoes offer amazing feel for the trail. This past weekend I returned to my roots in Vermont. As a teen, a couple times each week I’d run from my house in Bellows Falls, Vermont to the top of Fall Mountain ( Mount Kilburn)located across the Connecticut River  in North Walpole, New Hampshire. I would hang out there for hours eating my peanut butter and onion sandwiches and watching the hawks float effortless below. The mountain’s 1120 feet of elevation is not large but the old carriage road has sections exceeding 30 degree inclines to raise your heart rate along with a seemingly endless supply of loose rocks. Inclines of 70-80 degrees await the adventurous who assault up the face. There are lots of single track trails, logging roads, and power lines traversing the ridge but the most popular spot is the Table Rock overlook. It offers close to 180 degree views of the Connecticut River valley and my home town of Bellows Falls. I’ve been disappointed for so long not being able to run but that all changed on this day. It felt awesome to be jogging and to be back on the mountain. I have renewed optimism.  I can’t wait for my next run!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment