Thursday, August 1, 2013

Knee Surgery and Recovery


On June 12, 2013 I had surgery to remove complex posterior horn tear of the medial meniscus and pathologic suprapatellar synovial plica of the left knee. The procedure went smoothly and I was out of the clinic in about 2 hours. The worse thing about the recovery was sitting around my house for 2 weeks with nothing to do. I caught up on some reading and watched a lot of movies but mostly sat thinking about being out on the trails.
After that I started slowly walking 1 mile per day with my Bledsoe Z12 OA knee brace. Then the next week I increased my walks to 2 miles, then to 3 miles, and finally 4 miles every day during week 6. This week I started adding some short slow jogging in the middle of my walks and experienced only slight pain. Tonight was a great night.  I jogged about a mile during my walk. The heavy rain created mud everywhere at Whites Bog. It was slippery, sloppy, and felt so good. Next week I’ll attempt to jog further.
Week 1 Post-op

 

No comments:

Post a Comment